If you are insuring the car yourself then you must have held either a full UK or an overseas driving licence for a minimum of 12 months.
Licences issued overseas, must:
- be clearly identifiable to us as a driving licence
- be valid for use in the UK for the duration of the Rental Period (unless you intend to exchange it for a UK driving licence in good time (for further details relating to exchanging foreign driving licences check here: (https://www.gov.uk/exchange-foreign-driving-licence); and
- entitle you, as the licence holder, to drive the type of car you are looking to rent from us.
If you cannot fulfil the first criteria (an identifiable driving licence) then we may need you to supply an International Driving Permit (an ‘IDP’). An IDP, which is a translation of your driving licence, will be required if the original driving licence is not written in English or does not contain a photo of the driver. It is not valid (or necessary) in your home country (ie.,in the country of issue) or on its own. If you are providing an IDP then you must, at the same time, present the driving licence it is translating. If your home country doesn’t issue IDPs then a Letter of Endorsement issued by your home country’s Embassy or Consulate is acceptable. A Chinese driving licence is acceptable if:
- it is accompanied by an International Driving Permit
- it is presented with a notary translation
If you are driving the car under Europcar’s cover then your driving licence must be a full UK licence (not a provisional licence) which you have held for at least 12 months. You must also comply with the endorsement restrictions shown on our website here